Friday, October 20, 2006

Pardon me while I plotz, Mr. Hayworth.

Arizona Representative J.D. Hayworth is all kinds of crazy, but apparently he's really gone off the deep end, and it looks like he's going to learn that he can't walk on water, after all. This shmendrik's story appears on Hayworth's opponent's campaign site, but the story is easily verifyable elsewhere.

Idolizing Henry Ford's nativist models is crazy enough, sure. But to send you handlers to Temple Beth Israel in Scottsdale, Arizona, to lecture them about how Baptist J.D. Hayworth is a "more observant Jew" than they are borders on sheer insanity—and I don't just mean that from the viewpoint of political strategy, though it certainly is political suicide. I've never run for office, myself, but it seems that you shouldn't have your handlers say to congregants, "No wonder there are anti-Semites," particularly when you're standing on the temple's bimah.

Hayworth's district was already in play, but he had the advantage in the campaign. I wonder if that's going to change? After this outburst, I sure hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home