Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A word to conservatives about candidate Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, in a word, leaves me clammy. If she's the nominee, I'll vote for her, but hell, I won't be able to fake enthusiasm that could convince others around me to vote for her, too. I think this is a very common attitude toward her, and it runs counter to the conservative "We just gotta stop Hillary!" meme. She's a likely presidential nominee, sure, but she's hardly the biggest threat to conservatives today. In fact, considering how her nomination would likely throw cold water on downticket Democratic races, I'd think that Republicans are daydreaming about her becoming the Democratic nominee. In fact, I'm sure they are.

I do feel the Republicans don't have any good candidates this time around. Fred Thompson will show to have no clothes soon enough. I liked McCain in 2000, but nowadays, I think most people agree that he'd be an awful president. McCain wouldn't have lost all appeal as a candidate these days if he hadn't challenged the Reagan legacy candidate in the 2000 primaries, but I'll admit, that was part of his appeal for me. If I were old enough, I might be able to call myself a Rockefeller Republican, but I'm not a Republican at all, since the Goldwater/Nixon/Reagan/Bush dominance has soured me on your party beyond reconciliation in the near future. I realize you don't care what I think, but you've really lost me.

What your party's doing to the courts scares the hell out of me, frankly. Until the Republican party is moderated more, I'm not going to be able to vote for a single Republican candidate, no matter how moderate. It makes me sad to see the way things have turned out, but there it is. I'm very disturbed by the way conservative judges are so high on overturning legislatures from the bench. An activist judiciary is a menace to any republic. These are the stakes.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home