Friday, April 25, 2008

Ralph Reed's demeaning political thriller

So Christian Coalition honcho Ralph Reed has a book coming out. It's a political thriller about presidential politics, set in a world that could only be concocted by (and that really has been concocted by) Republicans. Dark Horse is a novel about sleazy high-level Democrats who are locked in a procedural squabble over their presidential nominee, while the Republcian incumbent vice president is assassinated by terrorists (of course) and is succeeded by a weak, controversial black Republican replacement who is promptly attacked by the religious right.

Enter Bob Long, the moderate governor of California (of which party, the review doesn't say,) who is a true independent and, better still, newly come to Christ. Governor Long launches a third-party campaign for the White House and stands a good chance of winning. Will Long become the Christ-loving independent president? You'll have to read the book when it comes out on June 3. (Hint: he's newly come to Christ.)

Publisher's Weekly has this to say about Reed's first novel:

"Women characters are either wives with drinking problems, tarts who use sex to get ahead professionally (but not that far) or VP candidates chosen purely for show, who are belittled behind the scenes for lack of experience and 'lightweight' intelligence. Democrats are drunks who play dirty and bloody each other’s noses."

I don't know if I'm going to bother reading it. If I do, it'll only be if I can get it at my local library. There's no way I'm giving this yutz any money.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, April 28, 2008 at 6:50:00 AM EDT, Anonymous rldelbane said...

Sounds like a page turner. Let me guess, the new born-again president uses America's military might to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem, thus unsuring the rapture or apocalypse or whatever. These yutzes do bring out the latent Christian in me. I hope (and pray) that purgatory exists because Reed and his ilk deserve to spend some time there. Thanks for the post.

 
At Monday, April 28, 2008 at 8:11:00 PM EDT, Anonymous rldelbane said...

I realized I repeated your use of yutz. Sorry about that. It's just such a fun word. And I was posting first thing in the morning, pre-caffeine. I was going to say as pennance I would read Reed's book, but that's kind of extreme. How about two Hail Marys and an Apostle's Creed?

 
At Friday, May 2, 2008 at 10:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger Kurt Kaletka said...

Heh... feel free to use yutz wherever appropriate. Yiddish is a fun language; so few languages' words actually sound like what they're supposed to mean. And Ralph Reed is a yutz if there ever was one.

I should probably read this mess; it sounds like something I'd like. I should probably read Left Behind, too, for similar reasons. I saw the movie version, which was disappointingly tame (and dull.) There have been sequels to that movie, so maybe they're better than the first one, which could possibly have just been the series going through some, um, growing pains...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home